Round 19 Review – PS4 NPL 3 NSW Men’s


Two draws and some very tight and closely fought matches were the order of the weekend as we completed Round Nineteen of the 2017 PlayStation®4 National Premier Leagues 3 NSW Men’s competition.

Hawkesbury City equalised at the death to take home a share of the points in a 2-2 draw with the Western NSW Mariners in Bathurst on Saturday afternoon.

St George City climbed to 4th spot on the competition ladder when a Sam Messam double helped them come from 0-1 down to beat Sydney University 2-1.

Dulwich Hill made it seven wins in as many matches with a workmanlike 2-0 triumph over Granville Rage at Arlington Oval; there were three penalties awarded at Ernie Smith Reserve on Saturday night when SD Raiders continued their excellent second round form with a 4-1 trouncing of Stanmore Hawks.

Rydalmere Lions beat Dunbar Rovers by the odd goal in five in a fiercely contested match at Valentine Sports Park No.3; Fraser Park grabbed the spoils at Magdala Park on Sunday afternoon with a 2-0 win against Gladesville Ryde Magic.

Rosario Occhipinti and Daniel Fogarty both grabbed a brace of goals each as Balmain Tigers and Inter Lions finished 2-2 at Wentworth Park on Sunday afternoon.

Western NSW Mariners – Hawkesbury City 2-2

The Western NSW Mariners and Hawkesbury City shared the goals and the points in a match at Bathurst that was brought forward to 4-00pm on Saturday afternoon.

Western NSW Mariners came out firing early on, on the rebound from that annihilation last week at the hands of Fraser Park no doubt, and dominated the early stages.

In fact, skipper Adam Scimone opened the scoring on 8 minutes with his second goal in successive weeks.

Milton Dellerba made a telling run down the right flank before cutting the ball back, and Adam Scimone took it in his stride to smash it home past the helpless Hawkesbury keeper, Daniel Schwarzer.

The surface was not conducive to fluent football, but the Hawks kept at it and equalised on 43 minutes, with James Mawein letting fly with a cracker from 35 yards that flew into Brock Logan’s top corner in the Western NSW Mariners goal.

The Mariners edged themselves back in front in the 70th minute when Milton Dellerba got in on the act, firing firmly in to the bottom corner after Jaiden Culbert had laid the ball back into his path.

Hawkesbury City equalised at the death when top goal scorer, Santiago Pallares Palomeque nodded home after connecting with a far post free kick, giving the two teams a point each.

The draw moves the Western NSW Mariners to 13 points but they remain in penultimate place, whilst Hawkesbury City move to 29 points, but drop to 6th place on the ladder.

St George City FA – Sydney University  2-1

St George City FA showed great character to come back from 0-1 down at half time to overcome Sydney University 2-1 at Fraser Park on Saturday night.

Sydney University took the lead after only 4 minutes when Peter Kardasis got on the end of an Adrian Porcu free kick to head home the game’s opening goal. It was Kardasis who had scored the fixture’s only goal the last time these two teams met, and he proved a thorn once again for St George.

That’s the way the score remained until half time, but St George City increased the tempo after the break, and were rewarded with two clinical goals to seal victory.

Following some neat build up play, Sam Messam finished nicely with a half volley to restore parity for St George City in the 63rd minute.

St George City finally wrapped up the victory in the 81st minute, and it was Sam Messam once more who did the damage. James Spanoudakis and Kallie Bangura were involved in the build-up before the ball was played into the box for Messam who had raced in from the wing to finish clinically.

The 2-1 triumph was timely for St George City FA, who, due to results elsewhere, have moved to 30 points and now occupy 4th position on the ladder, whilst Sydney University remain in 8th spot on 23 points.

Dulwich Hill – Granville Rage 2-0

The dynamic duo were at it again at Arlington Oval on Saturday night where Dulwich Hill accounted for Granville Rage 2-0.

Tommy Bentham and Luke Giverin have been scoring regularly for Dully, and did so again on the weekend to spearhead the home side to their 7th successive victory.

Dulwich Hill were awarded a spot kick midway through the second half when recent signing, Gosue Sama, was dragged back inside the penalty area. Tommy Bentham converted from the spot to edge Dulwich Hill into the lead with his 10th goal of the campaign.

Dulwich Hill took all three points shortly afterwards when they netted their second goal. Luke Giverin dispossessed a Granville Rage defender before racing away to slot past keeper, Samuel Bortolazzo.

The loss sees Granville Rage remain in 11th spot on 16 points, whilst Dulwich Hill consolidate their 3rd position on the ladder, climbing to 37 points in the process.

SD Raiders – Stanmore Hawks 4-1

SD Raiders continued their recent positive form with a 4-1 thumping of Stanmore Hawks at Ernie Smith Reserve on Saturday night.

The Raiders took the lead on 10 minutes when John Fahmi converted a penalty after he himself was brought down in the box.

The home side extended their lead on the half hour, again from the penalty spot, but this time it was Daniel Bittar’s turn to be brought down, and he dusted himself off before converting to make it 2-0.

Remarkably the officials awarded the third spot kick of the evening just before the half time break, but this time it was in Stanmore’s favour. Chris Kolistasis made no mistake to reduce the deficit to 1-2 as the teams trudged off into the sheds for a reprieve.

The Raiders turned their domination into further goals in the second half, starting with John Fahmi’s delightfully curled free kick in the 71st minute for his second goal of the afternoon and the Raiders’ third.

Tyrone Gatt tied up proceedings with the fourth and final goal in the 75th minute, beating a couple of Stanmore players on the way to slotting home.

Four wins and two draws from their past six matches sees SD Raiders move to 30 points on the ladder, and now sit in 5th position, whilst the gloom remains for Stanmore Hawks, remaining in 9th spot on 20 points.

Rydalmere Lions – Dunbar Rovers 3-2

Rydalmere Lions retained their position at the summit of the Playstation NPL 3 competition, but they were made to work very hard for the three points in their 3-2 victory over Dunbar Rovers on Saturday night.

Rydalmere took the lead after just 13 minutes when skipper, Matthew Mayora, converted following a neat passage of play down the left flank.

Dunbar Rovers equalised on 17 minutes with a great shot from the edge of the Rydalmere penalty area by Andrew Doddy.

The tension was evident throughout in a match that produced 8 yellow cards and 2 red.

It reached boiling point in the 65th minute when Andrew Doddy received his second caution of the night following a rash challenge, and as a result was sent to the sheds for an early shower.

The coming together of the players saw some heated exchanges and a second red issued, this time to Zac Watters from Rydalmere, as both teams were reduced to a game of 10 v 10.

Ryalmere Lions restored their lead after Ahmad Elrich executed a superb free kick on 71 minutes to make it 2-1.

Rydalmere substitute, Mortaza Safdari, then extended the lead to 3-1 on 90 minutes, converting after being allowed too much space inside the Dunbar penalty area.

Dunbar weren’t quite finished and pulled a goal in injury time to make it 3-2, the goal coming courtesy of 15 year old debutant, Ahmad Taleb, but it was too little, too late, and Rydalmere Lions held on for a 3-2 victory.

The loss sees Dunbar Rovers remain in 10th position on 19 points, whilst Rydalmere Lions retain first spot on the ladder, climbing to 52 points ahead of next week’s blockbuster against Fraser Park

Gladesville Ryde Magic – Fraser Park 0-2

in the eagerly awaited affair at Magdala Park on Sunday afternoon, Fraser Park took home the chocolates when they accounted for Gladesville Ryde Magic 2-0.

Both teams came into the match on the back of some positive form of late, and the home side were quietly confident of upsetting the Fraser applecart in front of their own fans.

But Magic were found wanting in the opening minute when Fraser Park took an astonishing early lead. Peter Crevani made some space inside the left-hand side of the Magic penalty area before beating Gladesville’s keeper, Kyriakos Tohouroglou, with a powerful left foot cross shot.

Gladesville Ryde Magic recovered from that early setback and soon settled into the game, knocking the ball around, but were unable to find a way past the solid Fraser Park defence.

Peter Crevani was at it again for the visitors on 22 minutes, again making space before unleashing a long range shot that cleared the Gladesville cross bar.

Last week, Goncalo Paradanta scored with a delightful free kick, but this time, his 34th minute effort was cleared by Magic defender, Todd Nelson, who anticipated the set piece.

Drama unfolded on the stroke of half time when Gladesville’s attacking flanker, Heo Wookbum, retaliated to a Fraser challenge and was sent for an early shower, literally moments before his team mates joined him for the half time break.

Gladesville almost replicated Fraser Park’s opening minute scoring effort when they too had a great opportunity in the first sixty seconds of the second half, but alas, Ben Kerr placed the ball wide after being sent through to face Fraser Park goal keeper, Chris Becerra, in a one on one.

Magic kept at it and it was the turn of their young midfielder, Peter Voukidis, to try his luck from range, the effort producing a splendid diving save from Fraser Park custodian, Chris Becerra.

Fraser Park responded in the 64th minute, when Chris Hatfield missed the target with a diving header after some good lead work on the right on the right flank.

The playing numbers became 10 on 10 in the 79th minute when Jordan Roberts was dismissed, the Fraser Park defender earning himself his second yellow card of the match.

Fraser Park then put the match beyond Gladesville’s reach in the 81st minute, when Michael Gaitatzis – younger brother of, Chris, who captains Gladesville Ryde Magic but was missing today – slotted home from 10 metres out to make it 2-0.

The loss sees Gladesville Ryde Magic remain on 28 points but drop to 7th on the ladder, whilst Fraser Park move to 50 points, two behind leaders, Rydalmere Lions, with a game in hand.

Balmain Tigers – Inter Lions  2-2

Balmain Tigers and Inter Lions shared the spoils in an entertaining 2-2 at Wentworth Park on Sunday afternoon.

Inter Lions went in to an early lead when Balmain lost possession, and few quick passes later saw Daniel Fogarty finish clinically to make it 1-0 to the visitors.

Balmain went close to equalising a few minutes later but Raffaele Moniaci’s effort was thwarted by Inter’s keeper, John Soulios.

The Tigers did eventually draw level, and it came on 26 minutes.

Andrew Casali sent in a long throw in that was well controlled by Rosario Occhipinti, who shook his defender before slotting home to bring the scoreboard level at 1-1.

Raffaele Moniaci and Yanni Moustakas were finding space for Balmain and causing Inter Lions some concerns on the flanks.

Balmain took the lead early in the second half when Liam Cole fed Raffaele Moniaci, and he sent over a dangerous cross from the left wing across the six yard box.

Rosario Occhipinti showed his predatory instincts by reacting quickest, heading home in to the top corner much to the delight of the Balmain contingent.

But Inter Lions were not to be denied, and the visitors drew level once again when a long ball was seized upon by Daniel Fogarty, who skipped past Balmain keeper, Pat Ferrara, before slotting in to an empty net.

The 2-2 draw gave Balmain Tigers their sixth point of the season, whilst Inter Lions join Granville Rage on 16 points.