Working With Children Check


Working with Children Check Requirements for Volunteers & Paid employees

  • The WWC Check is Government requirement
  • It applies to people who work or volunteer with children aged under 18
  • Persons cleared through the WWC Check are issued with a WWC number
  • If you are required to have a WWC number you must provide your WWC number, full name and Date of Birth to your club.
  • To obtain a WWC number you apply on-line for a WWC Check
  • A WWC Check is free for volunteers and costs $80 if you in a paid position

WWC Check Application Process

  1. Apply for a WWC Check
  2. Once you have applied on-line you will receive an Application (APP) number
  3. Take your APP number and Proof of ID to a Motor Registry
  4. Volunteer applications are free
  5. Persons in a paid position pay a fee of $80 at the motor registry
  6. You should receive your WWC Number by email within 2 weeks
  7. You must provide your WWC Number, your full name and Date of Birth to your club

Exemptions in sport include:

  • Persons under 18 years of age
  • Referees
  • Volunteers who coach or manage their own child's or close relative's team 
  • Canteen managers, canteen workers and caterers
  • Grounds persons

A "Close Relative" is defined as a spouse or de facto partner of the person; or a child, step-child, sibling, step-sibling, parent, step-parents, grandparent, step-grandparent, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew of the person. 

What do Exempt Persons sign?

  • Exempt persons must complete a FNSW Member Protection Declaration and provide it to their club.  
  • Referees must complete a MPD form and provided it to their Referee Branch.  
  • Only exempt persons can complete an MPD form



WWC Requirements for Clubs, Associations & Referee Branches

Sport organisations must comply with the requirements of the NSW Working with Children Check.

Clubs, associations and referee branches are an 'employer' under the WWC Check.  Even if your club only has volunteers the requirements  in the WWC Employer Guidelines still apply to your club. 

All clubs, associations and referee branches are required to have a Member Protection Information Officer (MPIO).  It is this person who usually oversees the WWC Check.  For more information about the MPIO role click here.

Steps to WWC Check compliance:

1.    Appoint a person to manage the WWC Check 

2.    Register your organisation for the WWC Check (see below)

3.    Identify roles which are child related.  

Child related roles are identified by FNSW as coach, manager, trainer, technical director, youth co-ordinator, committee members, referee coach and any other role which involved working or volunteering directly with children.

4.    Determine who is exempt from the Check. (see below)

5.    Advise your volunteers and employees who are working with children (U18) to apply for their WWC Check and obtain a WWC Number.

6.    Obtain the WWC Number,full name and Date of Birth from all of your volunteers and employees who work with children aged under 18.

7.    Verify their WWC Numbers on-line.

8.    Keep a record of all verifications. (see below)

Clubs MUST verify WWC Numbers and MUST keep a record of all verifications. Failure to comply with these requirements can result in significant fines and the risk of accepting people into your organisation who are unsuitable to work with children.

 How to register your club

  • Register at
  • On the registration page select the sector called 'clubs and other bodies providing services for children'.  
  • Create a Username and Password for your organisation & keep this on file.
  • The contacts listed on the registration page should include a primary contact at the club and the club President or a contact at the association.
  • Start verifying.

How to verify a WWC Number

  • Go to
  • Select the Employer Log In and Verify tab.
  • Log in using your club Username and Password
  • Enter the worker's Surname, Date of Birth and WWC Number and select Verify.
  • You should then receive a clearance or result message. 

How to keep a record of verifications

  • Create a Verification Records document for your organisation using the FNSW Verification Record template.
  • Record the details of all verifications. 
  • This document must be maintained for auditing purposes.

WWC Exemptions

Exemptions in sport include:

  • Persons under 18 years of age
  • Referees  (who only referee games)
  • Volunteer parents who coach or manage their own child's team
  • Volunteers who only coach or manage a close relative's team
  • Canteen managers, canteen workers, caterers
  • Grounds persons 

More information about exemptions


What do exempt people sign?

  • Exempt persons must complete a FNSW Member Protection Declaration and provide the form to their club.  
  • Referees complete a MPD form and provide it to their Referee Branch
  • Only persons exempt from the WWC are permitted to provide a MPD form to their club instead of a WWC Number.

Information & Training is available on the Working with Children Check website:


Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: Who requires a WWC Check?

  • All paid persons who work with children under 18 yrs
  • All volunteers who work with children under 18 yrs, unless exempt
  • Coaches, managers, trainers, youth co-ordinators, technical directors, MPIOs, chaperones, tour directors and any other person working or volunteering directly with children (unless exempt).
  • Committee members or Board members who assist with the delivery of activities, events or functions that involve children aged under 18.
  • Persons who mentor children under 18 years.
  • Referee coaches, referee mentors, referee assessors

Q2: Am I exempt?

  • If I am a Police Officer or school teacher?  A: No. 
  • If I volunteer to coach or manage my child’s team?  A: Yes, but you must sign an MPD form and give it to your club.
  • If I volunteer to coach or manager my own child's team and also coach or manage another team that my child is not in or hold another position at the club as listed above in Q1?   A: No, you are not exempt. You must obtain a WWC Check and provide your WWC number to your club.
  • If I am paid to coach my own child's team?  A: No. All persons paid to work with children must obtain a WWC Check. 
  • If I attended a Child Protection Seminar at Football NSW?   A:  No. Attending a CP Seminar at FNSW or anywhere else does not exempt you from having to provide a WWC number.  The FNSW Child Protection Seminars are an education program and are unrelated to WWC Check requirements.
  • If I have a blue card or clearance from another State?   A:  No, clearances from other States do not apply in NSW. You are required to apply for a WWC Check and provide a NSW WWC number to your club.


Q3: What is the definition of paid?   A: Any payment, honorarium, lump sum, out of pocket expenses including in cash or kind such as discounted player fees. It is not payment where reimbursement is paid and a receipt for expenses is provided.  

Q4: What if someone refuses to provide a WWC Number, full name or DOB to their club?  A: They cannot work or volunteer with children under 18 years.

Q5: Where can I get a WWC Number?   A: Apply online at

Q6: Do existing paid employees need a WWC number?   A: Yes, all paid employees, including existing employees who work with children must apply for a WWC Check and provide their WWC Number to their employer.

Q7: How long does a WWC Check last?  A: WWC Check is renewed every 5 years

Q8:  What does a WWC Number look like?    A:  Paid position WWC1234567E    Volunteer position WWC1234567V

Q9:  Can I use a volunteer WWC Number (WWC1234567V) for a paid position?    A:  No. You must go on-line and upgrade to a WWC for paid employees.

Q10:  Can I use a paid WWC Number (WWC number with an E on the end) for a volunteer position?  A:  Yes, a paid position WWC Number that ends in an 'E' can be used for both paid and volunteer positions.


More about the WWC Check or phone 02 92867276

More about Child Protection

FNSW Member Protection webpage 


Football NSW Member Support

Michelle Hanley

Ph: 02 8814 4402


FNSW Child Protection Seminars

These seminars were previously known as Working with Kids (WWK) Seminars.

It is a mandatory requirement of FNSW that all coaches and managers registering for the 2016 FNSW Leagues attend a Child Protection Seminar run by Football NSW.

More information about the Child Protection Seminars